Programs And Courses

Environmental Science (3040)

Printer-Friendly Version

Environmental Science: Associate in Arts (AA)  (3040)

ATTENTION: This program has been inactivated by the department for Fall 2018 and will no longer be available for new student enrollments. Interested new students should consider reviewing the Environmental Science AS degree (major code #3046) - new Fall 2018.

Do you care about environmental quality, safer drinking water or cleaner air? Our Environmental Science Program is YOUR first step toward studying the impacts that road, dams and developments have on the environment.

If you are an effective communicator with good listening skills, able to think critically to compare and determine solutions and enjoy the sciences, let us help you get started!

What can I do with this in the workforce? 

Once you have received your Associates in Arts (AA) in Environmental Science, you will have the basic science and general education courses to pursue a bachelor’s degree. Graduates of our program have continued their education to work in the following fields:

  • Air quality
  • Environmental clean up
  • Environmental education
  • Environmental monitoring
  • Impact assessment
  • Natural resource management
  • Pollution prevention
  • Regulatory affairs
  • Waste management
  • Water and waste water


What is the average salary?

Explore YOUR career with Career Coach! Career Coach is a helpful tool that will assist you in developing a path from your education to the job market. With Career Coach, you can find:

  • Average hourly wages
  • Information about possible careers of interest through a variety of search options
  • Discover what occupations are in-demand within the region you select
  • Number of individuals currently employed within that occupation
  • Anticipated number of job openings available – just to name a few!

Begin exploring your options now!

What is HACC’s program like?

Through our science and general education courses, you will gain the foundation to continue your education at a four-year school and study ecology, environmental management and science, industrial hygiene, recycling technology or waste management.

As you complete our program, you will: 

  • Effectively communicate scientific information both orally and through written reports and presentations
  • Apply the scientific method via data collection and analysis to evaluate scientific problems
  • Evaluate scientific principles and sustainability as they relate to the discipline
  • Demonstrate the proper use of basic scientific equipment
  • Utilize environmental science scholarly resources including the library and web-based resources
  • Identify the sources and consequences of major constituents of air, water, and land pollution
  • Analyze a variety of timely environmental issues in light of their ecological, social, economic, ethical or cultural implications
  • Successfully transfer to a baccalaureate degree program in environmental science or related degree program with a biology emphasis


What classes will I take?

We encourage you to:
  • View summaries of every course at HACC by browsing our class schedules database.
  • Review our program guide (pdf) to view a list of required courses, recommended course sequencing and program competencies.
  • Browse our advising checksheet (pdf), which is also an excellent tool to help you personalize your course load each term and manage your overall advancement through our programs.

Can I transfer my credits to a four-year college or university?

Yes! Conveniently YOURS, our two-year degree program is designed so you can transfer to a wide variety of four-year colleges and universities with no loss of credit. If your intended transfer school participates in Pennsylvania’s statewide college credit transfer system, you can begin at the junior level. Our programs also transfer well to schools outside of the statewide transfer system.

However, each college has its own unique program. Therefore, we encourage you to select a four-year school as soon as possible. This will allow you to learn the transfer college’s program requirements so you can take the proper classes at HACC.

California University of Pennsylvania: Environmental Science into Environmental Studies PASSHE Statewide Articulation Agreement (pdf)

California University of Pennsylvania: Environmental Science into Environmental Studies PASSHE Statewide Articulation Agreement (pdf)

Delaware Valley College: Environmental Science into Agronomy and Environmental Science.pdf (pdf)

Kutztown University of PA: Environmental Science PASSHE Statewide Articulation Agreement (pdf)

Lincoln University: Environmental Science PASSHE Statewide Articulation Agreement (pdf)

Mansfield University of PA: Environmental Science into Biology/Environmental Science PASSHE Statewide Articulation Agreement (pdf)

Millersville University of PA: Environmental Science into Biology or Earth Science (pdf)

Saint Francis University: Environmental Science PASSHE Statewide Articulation Agreement (pdf)

Shippensburg University of PA: Environmental Science into Geoenvironmental Studies (pdf)

West Chester University of PA: Environmental Science into Public Health/Environmental Health BS (pdf)

Wilson College: Environmental Sustainability (pdf)

Where can I complete this program?

You can complete the full Environmental Science Program at the Harrisburg Campus.

Does HACC offer scholarships?

To help with the expense of your tuition, we have approximately 200 scholarships available through the HACC Foundation. Learn how to submit your applications by visiting

When can I apply?

With classes in the spring, summer and fall, you can apply anytime on our website. When you do, make sure you include the program code 3040 with your application. By using this code, you can be sure you’re applying to the correct program.

How can I learn more?

Successfully YOURS, let us help you follow your passion for protecting our resources. Learn more about our two-year transfer program by contacting an admissions counselor or our department chair Rae Dennis. You may also request more information online.