Gerontology: Diploma (0231)
Do you enjoy working with the aging population and want to promote their quality of life? Do you currently work in senior facilities? Our program will help further enhance the knowledge and skills that you already have or get you on the right track by addressing the basic principles and issues within the gerontology field.
Students who display the following skills are often interested in this program.
- Dedication to learning the latest trends in research and practice
- Enjoys working with others
- Excellent communication skills
- Problem solving
Valuably YOURS, we offer the ability to earn your Gerontology diploma fully online. Let us be your start in a rewarding career!
What can I do with this in the workforce?
Our program helps you advance your career within a senior care facility or prepares you to pursue a new passion as:
- Activity professionals
- Home health aides
- Personal care or direct care workers
- Social service aides
Graduates often obtain positions in institutions, agencies and long-term care and assisted-care facilities.
We also offer the opportunity for you to continue your education and earn a certificate in gerontology and/or pursue further study in related areas, such as:
- Allied health
- Social work
What is the average salary?
Explore YOUR career with Career Coach! Career Coach is a helpful tool that will assist you in developing a path from your education to the job market. With Career Coach, you can find:
- Average hourly wages
- Information about possible careers of interest through a variety of search options
- Discover what occupations are in demand within the region you select
- Number of individuals currently employed within that occupation
- Anticipated number of job openings available – just to name a few!
Federal regulations required that the College disclose specific gainful employment information about our program. This link will provide you with information on program costs, job placement rates and completion and median loan debt.
What is HACC’s program like?
From our leading professors, you will explore the skills needed for caring for our aging population. As part of the program, you will complete 20 hours of volunteering and gain knowledge in the areas of:
- Allied health
- Mental health
- Psychosocial and wellness
- Social service
By completing our program, you will:
- Discuss the basic demographics of aging
- Apply basic principles of gerontology to social and health issues
- Recognize differences between normal aging and disease-related aging
- Summarize the physical, mental, social and psychological aspects of aging
- Articulate skills and perspectives necessary to develop an empathetic relationship with an elderly person
- Identify the need for teamwork to provide optimal care for the aging population
- Explore opportunities for further study and workforce development in gerontology fields
What classes will I take?
We encourage you to:
- View summaries of every course at HACC by browsing our class schedules database.
- Review our program guide (pdf) to view a list of required courses, recommended course sequencing and program competencies.
- Browse our advising checksheet (pdf), which is also an excellent tool to help you personalize your course load each term and manage your overall advancement through our programs.
Can I transfer my credits to a four-year college or university?
Yes! Although this program is designed to lead you directly into the workforce, your coursework can transfer into our certificate or associate degree in gerontology or associate degree in health science.
Where can I complete this program?
Virtually YOURS, we offer the opportunity to complete your diploma completely online through Virtual Learning. If you prefer in-class instruction, you can complete the program at our Harrisburg Campus by taking some courses through Virtual Learning.
Does HACC offer scholarships?
Yes! Thanks to the HACC Foundation, there are more than 200 scholarships available. Please check the eligibility requirements and submit your applications to help reach your academic goals!
When can I apply?
You can enroll anytime for classes in the spring, summer and fall. Visit our website and submit your application using the specific program code 0231. This code ensures you apply for the correct program.
How can I learn more?
Our talented professors and staff are committed to YOUR success. We are available to answer your questions! Please contact an admissions counselor or our health and public service department chair Melinda Eash to request more information. Enroll now!