Hospitality & Tourism Management: Certificate (1101)
Do you enjoy working with people and have good communication skills? Do you see yourself in a career that focuses on the art and science of making people feel welcome and comfortable?
If you’re looking for a way to turn your people skills into a rewarding career, consider the hospitality and tourism field. Our Hospitality and Tourism Management Certificate Program is YOUR path to get there. Our program is accredited by the Accreditation Council of Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP).
What can I do with this in the workforce?
After completing our Hospitality and Tourism Management certificate you can become a:
- Banquet and food event manager
- Convention services manager
- Destination planner or promoter
- Dining room manager
- Front office operations manager
- Kitchen or beverage manager
- Rooms division manager
- Meeting planner
- Sales and marketing manager
- Tour operator or guide
This program may be an ideal fit if you:
- Enjoy working with people and serving the general public
- Describe yourself as a natural team leader who can encourage a team
- Have solid time-management skills and can solve problems creatively
What is the average salary?
Explore YOUR career with Career Coach! Career Coach is a helpful tool that will assist you in developing a path from your education to the job market. With Career Coach, you can find:
- Average hourly wages
- Information about possible careers of interest through a variety of search options
- What occupations are in demand within the region you select
- The number of individuals currently employed within that occupation
- The anticipated number of job openings available — just to name a few!
Begin exploring your options now!
What is HACC’s program like?
Our program provides the knowledge, commitment and skills you need for management, marketing and operational positions. Innovatively YOURS, we designed our program to align with the growing hospitality and tourism industry. This fast-paced industry provides food and beverage, accommodations and tourism services.
If you earned college credits in other fields of study or have life experience in other industries, this program is perfect for you. It will provide the foundation you need to pursue career opportunities in the hospitality and tourism field.
We incorporate a range of basic disciplines to give you the well-rounded knowledge and skills you need. Upon graduation, you’ll be ready to fulfill the diverse demands you’ll face in management positions in the industry.
When you enroll, you will be able to choose from three concentrations:
- Hotel and Lodging Management
- Restaurant Food Service Management
- Tourism, Convention and Event Management
As you complete the program, you will:
- Demonstrate basic skills needed in hospitality and tourism organizations
- Display competency in hospitality and tourism business subjects required for critical thinking applications
- Display competency in computer applications relevant to the hospitality and tourism industry
- Demonstrate technical operations, management and supervisory skills
- Recognize how hospitality and tourism organizations work in synergy to enhance the economic viability of geographic areas, both domestic and foreign
- Embrace change to stay current with the ever changing face of hospitality and tourism
- Recognize how specialized training fits into the larger management and societal context
Federal regulations require the College to disclose specific gainful employment information about this program. This link will provide you with information on completion rates and placement, program costs and median loan debt.
What classes will I take?
- View the Advising Checksheet for HTMT Restaurant/Food Service (pdf)
- View the Advising Checksheet for HTMT Tourism, Convention, EM (pdf)
- View the Advising Checksheet for HTMT Hotel and Lodging (pdf)
- View summaries of every course at HACC by browsing our class schedules database.
- Review our program guide (pdf) to view a list of required courses, recommended course sequencing and program competencies.
Can I transfer my credits to a four-year college or university?
Our certificate program is designed to lead you directly into the workforce. However, if you wish to continue your education, we encourage you to earn an associate degree at HACC!
When you complete your associate degree, you can continue and transfer credits to a four-year school.
Where can I complete this program?
We offer the complete program at our Harrisburg Campus.
Does HACC offer scholarships?
Yes! Through the HACC Foundation, there are approximately 200 scholarships available for your benefit. To learn more, including the eligibility requirements of each, please visit hacc.edu/scholarships.
When can I apply?
HACC offers classes in the spring, summer and fall, and you can apply anytime by visiting our website. When you submit your application, please include program code 1101 with your application. This code is unique to the program and ensures you apply to the correct one.
How can I learn more?
We want to help you achieve YOUR career goals in the hospitality and tourism industry. Please contact an admissions counselor or Jason Nielsen, interim department chair, to learn more about the program. You may also request more information today.