Structural Engineering Technology: Certificate (4581)
Do the designs of the Hoover Dam, Chicago O’Hare International Airport or Golden Gate Bridge intrigue you? Does the creativeness surrounding the design and creation of large-scale structures such as these capture your attention?
Structural engineering is the largest discipline within the field of civil engineering, and this specialty involves the design and execution of large structural projects, such as:
- Airport terminals
- Docks and bridges
- Frames and foundations
- Railroad structures
Let us help you get started in our Structural Engineering Technology Certificate!
What can I do with this in the workforce?
When you graduate from our Structural Engineering Technology Certificate, you will be able to search for entry-level employment in the structural engineering field as a:
- Computer-aided drafting and design (CADD) operator
- Construction inspector
- Reviewer of shop and structural drawings
You are also likely to succeed in this field and program if you:
- Have strong math and computer skills
- Have the natural ability to visualize how individual components connect to form structures
- Are detail-oriented and able to keep the bigger picture in mind
What is the average salary?
Explore YOUR career with Career Coach! Career Coach is a helpful tool that will assist you in developing a path from your education to the job market. With Career Coach, you can find:
- Average hourly wages
- Information about possible careers of interest through a variety of search options
- Discover what occupations are in demand within the region you select
- Number of individuals currently employed within that occupation
- Anticipated number of job openings available – just to name a few!
Begin exploring your options now!
What is HACC’s program like?
You will gain a solid foundation of engineering skills through hands-on team projects and innovative lessons. Our curriculum gives you the chance to participate in team-based projects to complete basic designs for commercial buildings and other structures.
After graduating from our certificate, you will be ready to:
- Assist in the design and development of civil structures using computer-aided design and drafting (CADD) equipment
- Prepare, interpret and read technical drawings
- Conceptualize ideas and communicate them to other project team members
- Analyze static structures using trigonometry
- Collect and interpret engineering data
- Identify the student's career path
- Identify global and ethical engineering issues
Federal regulations require that the College disclose specific gainful employment information about our program. This link will provide you with information on completion rates and placement, program costs and median loan debt.
What classes will I take?
- View summaries of every course at HACC by browsing our class schedules database.
- Review our program guide (pdf) to view a list of required courses, recommended course sequencing and program competencies.
- Browse our advising checksheet (pdf), which is also an excellent tool to help you personalize your course load each term and manage your overall advancement through our programs.
Can I transfer my credits to a four-year college or university?
Our certificate program is designed to lead directly to employment. However, we encourage you to transfer your credits into our Associate in Science (AS) in structural engineering technology if you wish to continue your education.
|Penn State Harrisburg:||Structural Engineering Technology (pdf)
Where can I complete this program?
Locally YOURS, we offer the entire program at our Harrisburg Campus.
Does HACC offer scholarships?
Yes! Through the HACC Foundation, there are scholarships available. Please visit hacc.edu/scholarships for details and deadlines.
When can I apply?
We offer classes in the spring, summer and fall, and you can apply anytime on our website. When you submit your application, please include program code 4581 with your application to make sure you apply to the correct program.
How can I learn more?