Theatre: Associate in Fine Arts (AFA) (2500)
Do you enjoy performing onstage or in front of a camera? Would you rather work backstage designing and building sets and costumes, operating lights and sound, designing and applying special effects make up, or directing a stage production? Whether you are an actor, director, designer or technician, our Theatre Associate in Fine Arts (AFA) program may be for you! With a conservatory approach, our program teaches you the fundamental knowledge and techniques essential in acting and/or theatre production.
What can I do with this in the workforce?
Our students often choose to move directly into the workforce as actors, technicians and designers in both theatre and film. Our faculty offers a broad range of coursework that focuses on skills to greatly increase your opportunities in the industry. Upon completing the Associate in Fine Arts degree, you will be prepared for entry-level employment in performance and/or technical theatre or ready to transfer your credits to a four-year college.
Our Theatre program might be a good fit if you:
- Enjoy performing in front of a live audience
- Want to use your creative talent and learn about scenic, costume, sound, makeup and lighting design
- Prefer to work on a team to produce creative work
To pursue an arts-related profession, you should develop a varied skillset and seek professional training in either performance or technical theatre. Creatively YOURS, we can help you develop these skills.
What is the average salary?
Explore YOUR career with Career Coach! Career Coach is a helpful tool that will assist you in developing a path from your education to the job market. With Career Coach, you can find:
- Average hourly wages
- Information about possible careers of interest through a variety of search options
- Discover what occupations are in demand within the region you select
- Number of individuals currently employed within that occupation
- Anticipated number of job openings available – just to name a few!
Begin exploring your options now!
What is HACC’s program like?
Our program provides you with the fundamental knowledge and techniques necessary in acting and/or theatre production. With an emphasis on resume building skills, you have the opportunity to complete an approved internship at an external theatre or theatre affiliation. Our program allows you to gain practicum experience as you take courses that allow you to focus on areas of:
- Theatre design
- Theatre construction
In the program, you will:
- Distinguish and demonstrate the various roles and functions of performers, directors and designers within the Theater Arts
- Recognize the necessity for collaboration and artistic compromise
- Execute the various tasks involved in creating a live staged production
- Write and speak effectively about the nature of theatre
What classes will I take?
- View summaries of every course at HACC by browsing our class schedules database.
- Review our program guide (pdf) to view a list of required courses, recommended course sequencing and program competencies.
- Browse our advising checksheet (pdf), which is also an excellent tool to help you personalize your course load each term and manage your overall advancement through our programs.
Can I transfer my credits to a four-year college or university?
Yes! Our program can lead directly to employment or prepare you to transfer credits to continue your education. Our programs are flexible enough to transfer to a wide variety of four-year colleges and universities with no loss of credit. However, each individual college has its own unique program. Therefore, we encourage you to select a four-year school as soon as possible. This will allow you to learn the transfer college’s program requirements so you can take the proper classes at HACC.
Please see the list of schools for transferring options:
|Bloomsburg University of PA:||Pennsylvania Statewide P2P Agreement (pdf)
|California University of Pennsylvania:||Pennsylvania Statewide P2P Agreement (pdf)
|Cheyney University:||Pennsylvania Statewide P2P Agreement (pdf)
|Clarion University of PA:||Pennsylvania Statewide P2P Agreement (pdf)
|East Stroudsburg University of PA:||Pennsylvania Statewide P2P Agreement (pdf)
|Edinboro University of PA:||Pennsylvania Statewide P2P Agreement (pdf)
|Indiana University of PA:||Pennsylvania Statewide P2P Agreement (pdf)
|Kutztown University of PA:||Pennsylvania Statewide P2P Agreement (pdf)
|Lock Haven University of PA:||Pennsylvania Statewide P2P Agreement (pdf)
|Mansfield University of PA:||Pennsylvania Statewide P2P Agreement (pdf)
|Millersville University of PA:||Pennsylvania Statewide P2P Agreement (pdf)
|Slippery Rock University of PA:||Pennsylvania Statewide P2P Agreement (pdf)
|West Chester University of PA:||Pennsylvania Statewide P2P Agreement (pdf)
Where can I complete this program?
The complete program is only available at our Harrisburg Campus.
Does HACC offer scholarships?
Yes! The HACC Foundation offers approximately 200 scholarships. We welcome students to visit hacc.edu/scholarships to learn more about the opportunities.
When can I apply?
You may take classes in the spring, summer and fall. Please visit our website to apply anytime.
When submitting your application, please use program code 2500. This will ensure that you are enrolled in the correct program.
How can I learn more?
Creatively YOURS, our department chair, email@example.com, or an admissions counselor are happy to provide you with more information.