Early Childhood-Elementary Education: Associate in Arts (AA) (5070)
If you’re passionate about teaching children and making a difference in young minds, our Early Childhood-Elementary Education Program is your answer to meet your goals. Our program is accredited by the National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC).
By completing our program and receiving your Associate in Arts (AA) in Early Childhood-Elementary Education, you will be prepared to transfer your credits to a four-year school and apply for your teaching certification in grades PreK-4.
What can I do with this in the workforce?
Our program serves as your guide to later pursue your bachelor’s degree. With a bachelor’s degree, you’re qualified to apply for your teaching certification to teach children in grades PreK-4.
What is the average salary?
Explore YOUR career with Career Coach! Career Coach is a helpful tool that will assist you in developing a path from your education to the job market. With Career Coach, you can find:
- Average hourly wages
- Information about possible careers of interest through a variety of search options
- Discover what occupations are in demand within the region you select
- Number of individuals currently employed within that occupation
- Anticipated number of job openings available – just to name a few!
Begin exploring your options now!
What is HACC’s program like?
Designed to help you transfer to a four-year college or university to complete your bachelor’s degree in early childhood education. This curriculum provides you with the opportunity to spend a minimum of 66-hours of field experience working in a variety of childcare and educational settings. Since our curriculum involves both field experiences and classroom observations in childcare centers throughout many school districts. You must obtain the following clearance requirements, at your own expense, prior to enrolling into EDUC 110:
- FBI Clearance
- ACT 151: PA Child Abuse History Clearance
- ACT 34: Request for Criminal Record Check - PA State Police
- Tuberculosis Skin Test (TB test)
Please note that these clearances are to be updated each year. For more information on required clearances, please download the clearances required for education students (pdf) or contact our clearance and placement coordinator Jen Myers.
In conjunction with National Association for the Education of Young Children’s (NAEYC) Standards, our professors will prepare you to:
- Apply the theories of child development in order to promote healthy and challenging learning environments
- Observe and assess children’s development and document their learning in order to develop appropriate curriculum and promote positive outcomes for each child
- Use content knowledge to build meaningful curriculum
- Use effective strategies to implement developmentally-appropriate teaching and learning
- Support and involve families and communities in their children’s development and learning
- Uphold national standards for professionalism and ethics as well as participate in continuous professional growth
- Use legal and ethical standards to locate professional literature in print and/or electronic format in order to make research-based decisions that inform teaching practices
- Prepare and maintain an electronic portfolio that documents personal growth as well as scholastic and professional achievement through the course of the Early Care and Education certificate from entry point class to job search
For the specific requirements and Student Handbook, please visit the Health Careers webpage.
What classes will I take?
- View summaries of every course at HACC by browsing our class schedules database.
- Review our program guide (pdf) to view a list of required courses, recommended course sequencing and program competencies.
- Browse our advising checksheet (pdf), which is also an excellent tool to help you personalize your course load each term and manage your overall advancement through our programs.
Can I transfer my credits to a four-year college or university?
Yes! Our program is flexible enough to transfer to a wide variety of four-year colleges and universities with no loss of credit. If your intended transfer school participates in Pennsylvania’s statewide college credit transfer system, you will be able to begin at that school as a junior. Our program also transfers well to schools outside the statewide system. However, each individual college has its own unique program. We encourage you to select a four-year school as soon as possible. This helps you be aware of the transfer college’s program requirements and helps you choose the proper courses at HACC.
Please be aware that to transfer and enter professional-level coursework that leads to teacher certification, you must have a 3.0 grade point average (GPA) and have a passing score on one of the Pre-Service Academic Program Assessment (PAPA) tests. It is recommended that you speak to your advisor to learn more about this information.
Our various transfer options include:
|Bloomsburg University of PA:||Pennsylvania Statewide P2P Agreement (pdf)
|California University of PA:||Pennsylvania Statewide P2P Agreement (pdf)
|Carlow University:||Pennsylvania Statewide P2P Agreement (pdf)
|Cheyney University of PA:||Pennsylvania Statewide P2P Agreement (pdf)
|Clarion University of PA:||Pennsylvania Statewide P2P Agreement (pdf)
|East Stroudsburg University of PA:||Pennsylvania Statewide P2P Agreement (pdf)
|Eastern University Harrisburg Campus:||Early Childhood Education (pdf)
|Edinboro University of PA:||Pennsylvania Statewide P2P Agreement (pdf)
|Indiana University of PA:||Pennsylvania Statewide P2P Agreement (pdf)
|Kutztown University of PA:||Pennsylvania Statewide P2P Agreement (pdf)
|Lock Haven University of PA:||Pennsylvania Statewide P2P Agreement (pdf)
|Mansfield University of PA:||Pennsylvania Statewide P2P Agreement (pdf)
|Millersville University of PA:||Pennsylvania Statewide P2P Agreement (pdf)
|Millersville University of PA:||Early Childhood - Elementary Education into Early Childhood Education (pdf)
|Penn State Harrisburg:||Early Childhood-Elementary Education into Elementary and Middle Education (pdf)
|Shippensburg University of PA:||Early Childhood Elementary Education into (Prek-4) Elementary Education (pdf)
|Slippery Rock University of PA:||Pennsylvania Statewide P2P Agreement (pdf)
|West Chester University of PA:||Pennsylvania Statewide P2P Agreement (pdf)
When can I apply?
You can submit your application anytime by visiting our website. We offer spring, summer and fall classes to meet your work and life schedules. When you submit your application, please include the unique program code 5070 to ensure you apply to the correct program.
How can I learn more?
We look forward to helping you and answering your questions. Please contact an admissions counselor or our health and public service department chair Melinda Eash to request more information. Enroll now!