About HACC

Department of Public Safety and Security

The Department of Public Safety and Security (DPSS) provides public safety services to the HACC community. Our goal is to serve with integrity, efficiency and professionalism. 

What does DPSS do?

  • Provides continuous patrol of HACC campuses by foot, bicycle and marked and unmarked vehicles.
  • Controls access to campus buildings.
  • Inspects Campus property for safety deficiencies.
  • Responds to and provides assistance during emergency situations.
  • Maintains Lost and Found services.
  • Provides Escort Services.
  • Provides lock-out and jump start vehicle services.

What can public safety officers do?

  • DPSS officers are not sworn as police officers. They may make arrests as private citizens for on-sight felony and retail/library theft detainment.
  • Issue warnings and fines for violations of on-campus parking regulations. 
  • Ask for your identification to confirm you have lawful business on HACC campuses and property.
  • Report criminal incidents to the local police.

What should I do if I witnessed criminal activity on HACC property?

  • Immediately report any criminal activity you witness on HACC property to the appropriate campus Public Safety and Security Office.
  • Report the activity to the appropriate police agency for your campus location.

You can make a confidential report by:

  • Contacting the Campus Public Safety and Security Department. You can do this in person, by phone or by using a callbox.
  • Using the Campus Report a Crime online service.

Can I make an anonymous criminal report to HACC's Department of Public Safety?

You may elect to remain anonymous when you report a crime to HACC's Public Safety and Security Department. Anonymous reporting is available via the Report a Crime form.

Please note that while reports made to security personnel, Campus Security Authorities, or other responsible employees of the college will be held confidential, disclosure of personally identifiable information may be mandated by law in the furtherance of a Title IX investigation. Individuals reporting should also consider that reports which withhold information may affect the ability of the College or outside authorities to conduct a timely and effective investigation of an alleged crime.   

How does DPSS handle criminal reports?

  • We will report criminal activity to the local police or the Pennsylvania State Police as necessary. 
  • If a student has committed a criminal action or policy violation, the department will forward the report to the Dean of Student Conduct. The dean will review the complaint and may initiate student disciplinary action.
  • Any college disciplinary action will be separate from civil authorities' actions.

Who can I call for public safety and security assistance?

How does the DPSS issue alert notices?

DPSS issues alert notices when we become aware of a potential safety and/or security risk to HACC community. These risks may be on college property or within our immediate vicinity. DPSS will also advise local and state police agencies of potential risks.

We will issue alerts through:

  • e2Campus
  • Voicemail
  • E-mail
  • Bulletins
  • Electronic signage

Can I see the campus crime log?

The DPSS maintains a log of all criminal activity. The log includes the nature of offense, date, time, location and disposition of the complaint.

You can view the log at each campus's public safety and security office during campus operating hours. You may not be able to view the information if it:

  • Is prohibited by law
  • Would jeopardize the confidentiality of a victim
  • Would jeopardize an ongoing criminal investigation
  • Would cause a suspect to flee or evade detection
  • Would result in the destruction of evidence

We may archive logs older than 60 days. We will make them available within two business days of your request per federal requirements.

How does the DPSS educate the community on crime prevention?

Presentations covering crime prevention, emergency procedures, and general security and safety information, with question and answer sessions can be provided in the classroom, at a campus event, or for student organizations upon request.

Helpful Links: