Massage Therapy Program: Non-Credit (0003)
Do you want to help others reduce stress, feel better and improve their overall quality of life?
HACC has offered its Massage Therapy Program since 2007 and guided students to pursue their passion in helping patients rehabilitate or relieve pain in the soft tissues of the body.
What can I do with this in the workforce?
The job requires a balance of academic and technical knowledge, clinical skills, manual dexterity, sensitivity and awareness. You want to have a sincere desire to help others, along with a commitment to the time, energy and focus necessary for the training process in order to become a solid practitioner.
With a certificate, you will be prepared to enter the healthcare profession as a massage therapist in settings that include:
- Chiropractic or medical offices
- Cruise ships
- Health clubs or fitness centers
- Health spas and resorts
- Nursing homes
- Private or group massage practices
- Physical therapy centers
- Sports medicine facilities
What is the average salary?
Explore YOUR career with Career Coach! Career Coach is a helpful tool that will assist you in developing a path from your education to the job market. With Career Coach, you can find:
- Average hourly wages
- Information about possible careers of interest through a variety of search options
- Discover what occupations are in demand within the region you select
- Number of individuals currently employed within that occupation
- Anticipated number of job openings available – just to name a few!
You also can view our gainful employment summary for additional information on the opportunities available with your certificate. It includes several sources for cost estimates, financing options and job-placement success rates.
Begin exploring your options now!
What is HACC’s program like?
Our program is 900 hours of hands-on training and will prepare you to:
- Behave in an ethical manner
- Communicate effectively with clients and other healthcare providers
- Have a working knowledge of the structure and function of the human body and how it is affected by massage
- Perform relaxation and therapeutic massage
- Take a client health history and determine an appropriate course of massage therapy treatment
- Take the state licensing exam for therapeutic massage
Often, you are involved in community events, such as Chocolate Fest and Woofstock, to perform chair massages.
Prior to enrolling in the program, you must obtain the following clearance requirements at your own expense:
- Two-step PPD (Turberlin skin test)
- Pennsylvania State Police Criminal Background Check
- FBI check if you have not lived in Pennsylvania for the past two consecutive years
What classes will I take?
We encourage you to:
- View summaries of every course at HACC by browsing our class schedules database.
- Review our program guide (pdf) to view a list of required courses, recommended course sequencing and program competencies.
Can I transfer my credits to a four-year college or university?
Upon completing your certificate, you can continue your education and earn an associate degree at HACC! With more than 120 programs, you can complete your associate degree, and even continue further by transferring credits to a four-year school.
Where can I complete this program?
For your convenience, you can complete the entire program at our Harrisburg Campus.
Does HACC offer scholarships?
Yes! Through the HACC Foundation, there are scholarships available. Please visit hacc.edu/scholarships for details and deadlines.
When can I apply?
You can complete spring, summer and fall classes at HACC and apply based on the class schedule. Please contact us using the information below.
How can I learn more?
We are passionate about providing a high-quality education and an opportunity for you to pursue your goals. Please contact the program coordinator in the Workforce Development and Continuing Education Division at 717-221-1386 for more information.