At HACC, we want to ensure our students have the necessary skills to succeed in college-level courses. Through examination criteria and placement testing, our students can provide evidence of these skills . Placement testing provides HACC with the tools to help our students achieve their goals no matter where they are in their educational journey.
If you are exempt from math and English placement testing, you are eligible to enroll in college-level math and English courses. Please contact Christine Nowik, English department chair, at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions about exemption criteria.
High school transcripts or score reports may take up to five business days to be evaluated for placement and may be submitted in one of the following ways:
- Mail to:
HACC, Central Pennsylvania's Community College
Central Admissions Office, C131
One HACC Drive
Harrisburg, PA 17110-2999
- Email to email@example.com
- For transfer information, please visit our Transcript Evaluation page.
If you have a documented disability and require special assistance with testing, please contact your campus to schedule testing.
- Gettysburg Campus, 717-339-3535
- Harrisburg Campus, 717-780-2614
- Lancaster Campus, 717-358-2972
- Lebanon Campus, 717-270-6333
- York Campus, 717-801-3276
- Students who do not meet the exemption criteria in math will take the ALEKS Placement, Preparation and Learning (PPL) test. The PPL test is designed to measure a student’s math foundation, allowing for review and refreshment of math skills. Students do not need to schedule a time to take the online test. A link to the test will be sent to their HAWKmail account by HACC’s Admissions team.
- To practice before taking the assessment, please review sample questions and visit aleks.com/free_trial.
Math courses are determined by your desired major/program. Please speak with an advisor about your math pathway and course selection. Please view the ALEKS PPL Score Interpretation here (pdf).
- Students may enroll in one of the following combinations of courses:
- English 003 (reading) AND English 051 (writing)
- English 057 (integrated reading and writing)
- English 002 (Strategy Based Reading II) and English 050 (Fundamentals of College Writing I)
- Please review "Which English Course is Best for YOU ?" for more information about making the best choice for your academic needs.
- HACC, like colleges around the country, has a First-Year Seminar (FYS) course requirement to help ensure your success as a student. All students must meet this requirement by either taking appropriate coursework or using the test-out option.
- If you are interested in testing out, please use the following resources to prepare:
- For information regarding the First Year Seminar test-out exam, please review the Test Out Form and Procedures (pdf).
The TEAS is a required test for students submitting application to HACC Nursing and Dental Hygiene programs. The TEAS measures basic essential skills in the academic content area domains of reading, mathematics, science and English and language usage.
Please consult with an advisor before scheduling the TEAS exam. Information about scheduling the TEAS exam for nursing is available here.